Benefits are an important part of why you choose a company to build your career. United Fire offers a comprehensive plan that covers many benefits you may be seeking to help your overall health, professional development and retirement.
Balancing a work life and personal life can be a tough act to perform. United Fire wants to make this act a little easier.
- Paid time off: Our company offers three weeks of paid time off (PTO) for a newly hired employee and up to 31 days of PTO for long service employees. In addition, we give employees the option to purchase up to 40 additional hours of PTO.
- Holidays and floating holiday: We observe nine company holidays throughout the year. And, each employee is given one floating holiday to use in addition to our scheduled holidays. You can use this personal day to have a “holiday” when you feel like it. Your floating holiday, and eligibility, may vary depending on your department and normal work schedule.
- Summer hours: Wouldn’t it be nice to have an afternoon off a week during the summer? At United Fire, we give each regional office the choice to participate in our program. Employees who participate must flex their hours each week, so they can have one afternoon off per week.
- Military leave: Those who wish to serve and protect our nation are eligible for military leave with all the rights of reemployment established under the Uniformed Services Employment and Reemployment Rights Act of 1994 (USERRA).
Tuition reimbursement: Our company encourages the professional development of our employees through attendance and participation in college-accredited courses—either associate, undergraduate or graduate—that are directly related to our operations, activities and objectives, and that will place employees in a position to improve their job skills, job performance or enhance their opportunities for advancement within our company.
Industry education: Continuing education is important at United Fire. We provide employees with the opportunity to earn insurance industry and professional designations through a variety of nationally recognized institutions, including the Insurance Institute of America, Life Office Management Association and American Institute for Chartered Property Casualty Underwriters.
Staying healthy is part of staying happy. We offer a wide variety of medical, dental, vision and life insurance options to help you choose what is right for you and your family. Staying healthy isn’t always easy, which is why we also offer short- and long-term disability plans for when the unexpected happens.
- Medical insurance: Our employees can choose from multiple medical plans, allowing them to find the one that fits their needs. Premium costs are paid for by both the company and employee. Coverage is available for employee only; employee and spouse; employee and child/children; or family. Coverage is available on the first day of employment for all regular full-time and benefits-eligible, part-time employees.
- Dental insurance: Our dental plan covers 100 percent of routine checkups and cleanings. Just like our medical plan, it is available for you; your spouse; and children. Coverage is available on the first day of employment for all regular full-time and benefits eligible part-time employees.
- Vision insurance: The plan offers coverage for comprehensive eye exams and contact lenses or glasses.
- Life insurance: Provided by our subsidiary, United Life Insurance Company, we provide basic life insurance, which includes accidental death and dismemberment; and accelerated death benefit protection. You also have the option to purchase supplemental life insurance, spouse life insurance, and dependent life insurance.
- Short- and long-term disability: Our short- and long-term disability plans are available for employees who are unable to work due to illness or injury. Full-time and some part-time employees are immediately eligible for short- and long-term disability at no cost.
- Long-term care: This available benefit is designed to help pay for the costs associated with necessary long-term care in either a nursing care facility, assisted living facility or at home.
- Wellness program: To help our employees save money on their medical insurance, we provide the opportunity, for each benefit-eligible employee, to earn wellness discounts by participating in wellness events throughout the year.
We want to be sure you work where you enjoy the environment and have the opportunity to have more than just a job, but also a place where you can build your career.
- Dress code: The way an employee dresses reflects not only on themselves, but on
co-workers and our company, which is why we have a business-casual dress code. As a professional company, it is important to portray a professional image at all times. Looking professional demonstrates that you have respect for not only yourself, but those around you, as well.
- Casual Friday: On Fridays, we like to let our business clothes take a break. Employees are allowed to dress casually if their regional office and schedule permits.
After you have worked hard throughout your career, it might be time to retire and do something you have always dreamed about. At United Fire, we want to help you be financially ready for your retirement. To help you prepare, we offer the following options:
- 401(k) Plan: Employees have the opportunity to contribute to a 401(k) plan to help save for retirement.
- Employee Stock Ownership Plan (ESOP): After three years of eligible service, employees are 100 percent vested in the plan. No employee contribution is necessary.
- Pension Plan: Paid entirely by United Fire, employees are 100 percent vested into the defined-benefit pension plan after five years of eligible service. The financial benefit for each employee is based on their years of eligible service and average monthly compensation.
- Employee Stock Purchase Plan: Employees are allowed to purchase shares of United Fire Group, Inc. (Nasdaq: UFCS) stock without incurring broker fees.